Sunday, January 29, 2012

Back home I spent eight years working for Enloe Medical Center as an EMT on one of there 911 responding units. In my spare time I was a volunteer fire fighter for the City of Willows.
  It was a beautiful May day. May 17, 2000 to be exact. I just got off a very busy shift and all I wanted to do was get the girls off to school, so I could crawl into bed for a few hours. And that's what I did, I crawled into bed and put my fire pager on the night stand next to me as usual. I must of drifted off to sleep, because a couple hours later I woke to my fire pager going off for an unknown medical aid.
  We lived at 15 Sunset Dr. and the medical aid came over at 17 Sunset Dr., our neighbors house. About that time I heard a voice, a lady's voice screaming and pounding on my front door. With no time to change  I ran to the door in my red flannel pajamas. My neighbor was screaming and asking for help. Her mentally disabled daughter had locked herself in the bathroom and would not come out. She was in the bathroom screaming it hurt and there was blood everywhere, she thought her insides were coming out.
   I ran over with the Mom, still in my pajamas and got the bathroom door pushed open. I laid the daughter down on the bathroom floor and cut her pants off her so I could take a look. I was so scared, not sure what I was going to find. It took me a minute to figure out what was protruding out. Then I realized it was a baby. A very small premature baby. Not sure how to keep the Grandmother and Daughter calm.And most importantly to keep her from hurting me, her and the baby in such small quarters. I yelled for my husband who was in the living room talking with the Grandmother. I explained to him, what was going on so he could start breaking it to the Parents.
   I stayed in the bathroom and delivered the very small baby girl. The baby was not crying, so I checked her airway and she was not breathing, then I checked for a heart rate. There was no heart rate. At that time I could hear the siren of the Ambulance coming up the street. I picked up the baby in my left arm and started chest compression and rescue breathing. While I was doing compressions I would try to calm the mom. Then I would have to breath another breath into the baby. I could hear the rest of the fire fighters and the on duty Ambulance crew coming in the house, My husband was giving them a quick report. I took the baby out to the LSU and climbed in the back with the Paramedic, Rich Lemon. I continued CPR and rescue breathing as Rich started an IV and put in a breathing tube. The Fire fighters got the mom ready for transport and loaded her up in the LSU. We took off code three to Glenn Medical Center ER. 
   As soon as we pulled into the ER, we took the baby in one room and they took the Mom and Parents into another room.  I stayed with the baby and continued chest compressions. Glenn Medical Center launched the UC Davis Pediatric NICU team on there helicopter. For the next 45 minutes we worked on that baby. We did continued protocol until they landed. I remember hearing them land in the parking lot. I felt so relieved and exhausted. The UC Davis team asked us to stay and continue, while they did what they needed to do. We spent another hour to hour and half working on her.  Then finally we got a heart beat....so I stopped chest compressions and just bagged the baby, which is using a bag valve mask that is hooked to the breathing tube Rich placed, to push little breaths into her lungs.  Once we got a heart rate they wanted to transport the baby. They loaded the baby into the transport unit that locks into the floor of the helicopter.  The NICU nurse took over the bagging and they started there roters and flew off. 
   That quick it was over. Everything had went silent. It went from complete craziness to complete silence.  Later that day I received a call from UC Davis and they said the baby was alive, but not breathing on her own yet. I was just so happy she was alive and the family would have at least a few hours with her, if nothing else. Over the next few days UC Davis would call and give us updates on her. Then she started to get a  little better each day.
  A couple weeks later our neighbor the Grandmother came over and said that they were not aware of the pregnancy and there daughter did not know she was pregnant either. That's when they told me they named the baby after me. They named her Nichole Martell.
   The Mother was extremely mentally retarded and was not able to raise the baby, so they put her up for adoption. Baby Nichole Martell was adopted prior to her leaving UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento.
   Before we moved the neighbors would bring over pictures of her and give me updates on her growth.
    Baby Nichole Martell was a beautiful baby girl who would never know how she came into this world. But she did come into this world, and she made it.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the whole story! leaves me with no questions, love the personal writing style again too. I can relate to the EMT/Fire pager screaming loud and waking you out of a dead sleep. This story is for sure great and touches the heart for sure! love it!!!.

    ReplyDelete